Sunday 25 January 2015

Bed

Adverts for mattresses remind us that we spend a third of our lives in bed. If you have depression, my guess is that during the rough times the amount of time we spend in bed increases a lot. My bed is like a raft on a stormy sea, it is my refuge and my haven, and because of this, I try to make my bed as comfortable as possible. If you have depression, I recommend you do the same. I truly believe that our environment has an impact on our well-being, and that a messy, stuffy and dirty bedroom will not lift spirits.

Tracy Emin's art installation 'Bed'
Mattress
Get the best mattress you can afford, and the type that to you feels most supportive yet yielding, that hugs the curves of your body and doesn't give you back ache. Check if the shop where you buy your mattress will take away your old one - this saves you a job. If you can't afford a new mattress, invest in a feather or memory foam mattress topper, which will add comfort and warmth.

Bed linen
This should be 100% cotton, so it is breathable and not hot and sticky. I like pure white sheets and duvet covers, there is something about its crispness that I find comforting. John Lewis, Argos and Ikea have good ranges of pure cotton bed linen. Get a lovely fluffy duvet or if you like the weight and heft of blankets, make sure you have enough to layer up. If you only invest in one thing, get a really good pillow.

Warmth
I absolutely love my electric blanket. I have a double bed and I can warm up one side of the bed, but keep the other side cool should I overheat. If I am spending the day in bed but I don't want to heat the whole house, I can make my bed a cosy sanctuary, and it definitely helps to relax tense muscles and warm cold feet. If you can't afford an electric blanket, a hot water bottle or one of those microwaveable heat packs is a useful alternative. No one wants to be cold in bed.

Entertainment
Bring your radio, or if you have a smartphone, get the BBC iplayer app and you can listen to the gentle sounds of Radio 4, Radio 3 or the World Service, or download podcasts. Choose history or nature documentaries - favourite Radio 4 programmes of mine are 'Something Understood' and of course, 'All in the Mind'. If you can cope with reading, choose books that are old favourites. If you want to watch TV, choose programmes that aren't going to make you feel anxious or that are too hard to follow. When I felt particularly bad, I could only face wildlife and gardening programmes. Avoid the news.

Attire
'Lounge wear' is ideal - so if you need to answer the door or have a visitor, it isn't too mortifying. Soft, flowing cotton jersey trousers, baggy layered tops, sweatshirts, hoodies - stuff that doesn't make you look too much like you've rolled out of bed. You can get lots of cotton, soft and comfortable pyjamas that don't look too pyjama-ey from Primark. Or if you are feeling lavish and want to shop online, Hush has some beautiful things that will wash really well and last for ages.

Clean
Sometimes this isn't possible because you feel too awful, but a shower and clean PJs can be a real pick-me-up. If you can't manage this, brush your hair and brush your teeth at least once a day. If you are feeling really low, and friends ask what they can do to help, ask them to change the sheets on your bed, have a quick tidy up, vacuum and air your bedroom. A little bunch of flowers will make the room more cheerful. While they do this, you have a warm deep bath with clean PJs on standby, and when you get in to bed, you will feel so much better.

Nourishment
Have some snacks by your bed and a jug of fresh water. Keep hydrated. If you venture down to the kitchen to make some tea or coffee, don't just make one mug, fill a Thermos. Good 'non-crumby' snacks to have on hand are almonds, dried fruit, flapjack and bananas. Keep your medications handy, so you don't need to get out of bed to take them on time.

Image courtesy of Nina Holst.

No comments:

Post a Comment